Quake 2 64 is really cool!

 I beat Ground Zero and it was better than Reckoning, but not by much. Will get it an entry later.

Quake 2 64 is also included in the collection, and was pleasantly surprising. It's a bit easy, but I did have to scramble for ammo once or twice on hard. It's short. I beat it in one afternoon/evening, and I didn't  no-life it (cooked dinner, did some stuff with my wife, etc.) You get the full Q2 arsenal. It really goes to show how pointless most of the xpack guns are. About 3/4 of the bestiary is there. The Medic is probably the most noticably omission. They aren't afraid to throw what they have at you. I think the first Tank is on level 3. It's nice to see them again after the Gladiator-fest that was GZ.

The levels are smaller/simpler, but the AI handles them better as a result. Flyers can get in close, Gladiators don't get hung up on ramps, etc. Lighting is, dare I say, better (aesthetically at least) than in the original, and even with the low poly textures it's nice to see something other than the same three environments. Good job sprucing it up, art/design team. It has a whole swatch of low grav levels, which is nice. Environmental stuff in general is a strong point. Windows that the AI can see you through are deployed well, there's an ice section that's not annoying. I like that secrets are marked with both cracked walls AND sparks. Q2 usually only gave you one or the other. I was surprised how much of the torture segments remained intact. I guess the N64 is the first minimally censored Nintendo console. we They do a roll call sequence at the end, like Doom 2, thought not quite as well done.

If you can call it an "expansion", best of the 3 I've played so far. Well worth an afternoon or two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crooked Man by Charles Beaumont (1955)

BSD Games

Something Wicked This Way Comes: Chapter 31