A (Near) Year of Reading Shit
I think I've mentioned that I did the Goodreads reading challenge this year. Every quarter, they put out a half dozen or so catagories of books that (publishers have paid them to promote) you read from, you get an internet stamp, etc.
I've read all kind of stuff. Some I had on my to read list for a while, one or two I read for the blog, some that wasn't on my TBR but was in my area, and some that was totally out. It's good to get out of my comfort zone.
Most of it was absolute trash. The 90s Star Wars novels aren't high art, but most of them are at least reasonably free of obvious editing mistakes, blatant dicontinuity, etc. The amount of Big 5 books that look like first drafts is fucking embarrassing. I've heard there's a lot less editors/development going around these days, but we're talking stuff I'd hope a half decent amateur crit group would catch.
I'm going back to grumpily reading the classics. Any probably trying the Malazan series.
Comments
Post a Comment